Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Traveller Miniature Project

While sculpting miniatures appears to out of my grasp at the moment, the conversion and molding of existing miniatures, appears to be more attuned with my current skill set. In a two phase plan, I plan on converting WOTCs Star Wars figures to Traveller miniatures, and then experiment on enlarging the old 28 to 25mm to a scale equal to the 30mm of the Star Wars line.

First the conversion of the SW miniatures may seem simple. However, I demand a certain level quality in my miniatures that the current SW collectables cannot provide. They are made of a soft plastic with a strong elastic memory; this makes flashing the miniatures and other standard paint preparation actions time consuming, making said action relatively impractical. In addition, the relative standard conversion of heads and extremities as well GS conversion is equally difficult and futile considering the durability needed in gaming. As pre-painted collectable figures they are painted so poorly, that most would be compelled to repaint them, yet ironically they are painted using a paint that is difficult, if not impossible, to remove without destroying detail.

With a mind toward gaming durability and longevity, I’m forced to take radical action. To recast the best figures for Traveller in resin then modify them accordingly. This is a relatively expensive and time consuming process, but for my own use this is the best solution. Resin is a superior for conversion work, then flexible plastic, allowing for details to be re-sculpted and enlarged. The rigidity gives GS a better hold, as well as cements. Some will accuse me of piracy, but these are for my own use and are conversions, I have just elevated the art of the Green Stuff molds to the next level.

The enlarging of older figures to match the newer scales will be more of an experiment. There are resins that are used for prototyping, that enlarge in water, to there quality I cannot attest to at this time, but It will be interesting to see the results and judge it practicality.

No comments: